Friday, March 1, 2013

From A Garden To Hydroponic's In One Day

I went to the Doc the other day and told him that I didn't have the air like I used to, seems like it started around the first of Dec. He tells me to exercise, so with this warm weather we have had I decided to put me a garden in this year and feed the squirrel's some tomato's this year and get some exercise like the Doc said, so I get my spade and start digging and after about 4 spades of dirt I was breathing like I had run a hundred miles I just ran smooth out of air, I took a little break and went back to digging again and same thing about 4 spades worth and I had to take a break, now this is starting to make me mad I ain't used to not being able to get out and work my butt off, so I tell myself if this is the way I am gonna have to live then it ain't really worth living, so I grab my spade and in about an hour and half and a lot of heavy breathing I have me a 11x16 garden dug up. I'm wore smooth out, I go in the house and set for a spell to see if I killed myself. I woke the next morning so I'm still kicking and decided I'm going out and till that garden up. I think it would had been a lot less work if I took each clod of dirt and chewed on it and spit it out instead of using the tiller I have. I have one of them tillers that fits on the shaft of your weed eater and that damn thing will work you to death, my back hurt, my legs hurt and I couldn't move after tilling that garden up. I knew I had better not go to sleep that night cause I ain't waking up after that little stunt but I woke up, sore as hell but still kicking maybe not kicking but moving a little.


Now this is where it gets crazy, I have A.D.D and my mind goes a hundred miles an hour and I get side tracked at times I come up with a hundred different ways to do something simple. The wife gave me one of them upside down planters that you put peppers in and the daughter gave my wife a tomato upside down planter. I get the wild hair to sink me a 4x4 in the corner of the garden and run a couple of 2x4's across it and hang them upside down planters on it like this.

After hanging them up I go on the Internet and see how well these upside down planters really work. I get on u-tube and sees a feller that has these things all over his back yard full of Maters and Peppers, so I think this might be the way to go instead of that dang garden. Well when I was on U-tube I also saw a video on a small Hydroponic system and I order me up some hydroponic stuff cause I'm going hydroponic now, to hell with that dang garden and them upside down planters, I'm going high tech. After ordering that stuff I see we have a hydroponic place here in Austin that sells all kinds of hydroponic supplies I hop in the truck and head over there because I can't wait for the orders I made on the Internet to get here if I can buy them right now. So I have a small system set up now and will probably have a bigger one before long or who knows what my ole mind has in store for me, it changes every day you know.


That bottom one will have a tomato in it tomorrow, its a little different set up, after its all said and done I will probably have some tomato's that cost around a hundred dollars a piece.


Now in that first and second picture up there you will see a little blue pool upside down. That's our dogs grave yard we only have one left out of a family of 4 and she is 15 years old and is allergic to grass certain times of the year. Now about a month ago she had a allergic reaction to the grass and was chewing on her butt till it bled. The doc told us to give her a half of a Benadryl, so I'm giving her a half of a Benadryl every so often and around the 4th day she ain't eating or drinking just laying around doing nothing I start to worry about her and the next day she can't hardly move I'm thinking this is not looking good I think she is about to die so I get out there and start digging a grave for her. It takes me awhile to dig that grave but I'm almost done and look up and here comes that dog barely walking but makes it out to me, she looks at that grave and looks over at me and heads back toward the house after about 5 minutes I look over to the house and can see her in the kitchen eating and getting a drink of water I don't guess she wanted die after seeing that hole I had dug, the next day she is like nothing ever happened just happy as hell, I'm thinking that grave must have scared her into living again.
 It turns out that me and the wife damn near killed that poor ole dog by overdosing her on that Benadryl we didn't know the other one was giving her Benadryl, we where double dosing her and damn near killed her. So that is why that pool is upside down back there because I ain't about to fill that hole up after busting my butt digging it, besides I think that hole might have some type of healing power on that ole dog she sure got well after seeing it.

8 comments:

  1. The container gargens are a lot easier with less exhausting digging. Don't over do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks ,Dizzy I think these containers are going to be the way to go for my garden.
      Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  2. As a fellow ADD'er I know what it's like to start something and get side tracked all the time.

    I got into Hydroponics a few years ago, still trying to get it going. Got tons of Hydroton clay pellets, plastic tubs, pumps, powdered nutrients....everything except the lights.

    HAve seen some nice 400-600 watt lights on Amazon with rave reviews for $165, so maybe someday I'll get going on this again.

    Take it easy and don't over work the air bags, Buddy.

    Good to see a post from you again. We are headed out west for Spring Break....Wooohoooo!!

    Bigfoot in FtW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm heading out West the 21st maybe run into you out there.
      Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  3. I did a garden,,,,once. That was all it took. Why all that work when you can buy fresh all summer?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Buying it takes all the fun out of it,where else are you going
      to find a hundred dollar tomato.
      Thanks for stopping by Trouble.

      Delete
  4. Jim, you made my day man. I woke up at 2am and started hitting the blogs. This post caught my eye because we've done hydro and have quite a big scale undercurrent system. Anyways... Many of laughs this morning from this post. Now you leave that poor dog alone and use that grave as a composting pit or something lol

    ReplyDelete