Monday, July 23, 2012

Just Chilling

Since the heart attack I've been trying to do what the doc told me to do,which is, not do much, which is down right dangerous. I've never been told by the doc that I have A.D.D. but I have self diagnosed myself with it, my ole mind goes 10000 miles an hour. What I'm doing now has already been done in my mind awhile ago and the future is going through it now, if that makes any since. If I'm setting doing nothing it gets dangerous, I can come up with nine million different answers to a question. Reading directions, forget about it, by the time I read the first sentence I have to go back and reread it again, this process goes on and on until I've reread it about 10-15 times then I can retain some of it. I'm just rambling on about a whole lot about nothing here, I'm bored stiff. I did mow the yard yesterday with my wife chewing on my butt the whole time, the doc wanted me to lose about 15 pounds and I think she chewed around 4 pounds off yesterday. She keeps telling me stuff I already know, like the doc said don't do anything for a week and then light duty the next week. She says that means mowing the yard, I tell her he said to walk also and that's what I'm doing mowing, I'm walking, so leave me alone dang it. She doesn't know I mowed the neighbors yard Saturday, if I told her that, I just might lose that extra 11 pounds I need to lose, but than again I will look kind of funny with no ass.
 I've had time to reevaluate my doctors visit 3 weeks ago and it ain't good, I gave him an F- on that visit. He's the one that told me everything looked good, I did tell him that I was having chest pains for awhile and instead of checking it out he just talked about what it could be and he came up with stress was causing my chest pains, I had a damn psychic doctor, he wasn't one of them laying of hands on ya kind of psychic doctors, it just comes to him in his mind and he solves your problem, well he was wrong, the ass hole, hell Sylvia Browne could of done better than him. Doctors are getting like everything else in this world, cheap junk, don't care what you think, its what you get and if that ain't good enough for you tough s--t, just give me your money, Walmart doctors that's what most of them are now, there diplomas are probably made in China.
I do know one thing, that ole heart doctor knows what he's doing,I sure do feel a lot better than I did a week ago.I had told the wife that something was not right with me 6 months ago, I had lost most of my energy and felt like I was dragging around a 100 lb boat anchor all the time, didn't feel like doing anything. Now I feel 15 years younger and want to do everything. I have not had a smoke in almost a week now, around 8:00 tonight will be a week, I know that is helping me feel better, but damn I want to eat everything I can get my hands on, and they told me I couldn't eat what I liked anymore, B.S., I'm a eating type of fellow and that sissy food just ain't gonna cut it all the time, no salt, no bread, no nothing, I got to have me some red meat now and then, I can't have chicken and fish all the time, don't care for it that much. I got me some ribs in there now I'm fixing to throw on the smoker here in a minute if I can ever quit typing on this dang thing, I'm getting hungry. Since my ole fried brain has started working over time I'm sure I'll be back pretty soon.
In the meantime, check out this ole fellow. To the onlooker, rituals can look either very strange or very empty. They can seem altogether unimportant .... maybe even a lot of nonsense.I'm guilty of looking at someone doing something strange and thinking,"What A Nut" and I'm guilty of calling myself a nut some times, after reading this maybe some of the nuts I thought I saw aren't as nutty as I thought they were and just maybe, I'm not as nutty as I thought I was.

 It happened every Friday evening, almost without fail, when the sun
resembled a giant orange and was starting to dip into the blue ocean.

Old Ed came strolling along the beach to his favorite pier.. Clutched in
his bony hand was a bucket of shrimp. Ed walks out to the end of the pier,
where it seems he almost has the world to himself. The glow of the sun is a
golden bronze now.

Everybody's gone, except for a few joggers on the beach. Standing out on
the end of the pier, Ed is alone with his thoughts...and his bucket of
shrimp.

Before long, however, he is no longer alone. Up in the sky a thousand white
dots come screeching and squawking, winging their way toward that lanky
frame standing there on the end of the pier.

Before long, dozens of seagulls have enveloped him, their wings fluttering
and flapping wildly. Ed stands there tossing shrimp to the hungry birds. As
he does, if you listen closely, you can hear him say with a smile, 'Thank
you. Thank you.'

In a few short minutes the bucket is empty. But Ed doesn't leave.

He stands there lost in thought, as though transported to another time and
place.

When he finally turns around and begins to walk back toward the beach, a
few of the birds hop along the pier with him until he gets to the stairs,
and then they, too, fly away. And old Ed quietly makes his way down to the
end of the beach and on home.

If you were sitting there on the pier with your fishing line in the water,
Ed might seem like 'a funny old duck,' as my dad used to say. Or, 'a guy
who's a sandwich shy of a picnic,' as my kids might say. To onlookers, he's
just another old codger, lost in his own weird world, feeding the seagulls
with a bucket full of shrimp.

To the onlooker, rituals can look either very strange or very empty. They
can seem altogether unimportant .... maybe even a lot of nonsense.

Old folks often do strange things,
at least in the eyes of Boomers and Busters.

Most of them would probably write Old Ed off, down there in Florida .
That's too bad. They'd do well to know him better.

His full name: Eddie Rickenbacker. He was a famous hero back in World War
II. On one of his flying missions across the Pacific, he and his
seven-member crew went down. Miraculously, all of the men survived, crawled
out of their plane, and climbed into a life raft.

Captain Rickenbacker and his crew floated for days on the rough waters of
the Pacific. They fought the sun. They fought sharks. Most of all, they
fought hunger. By the eighth day their rations ran out. No food. No water.
They were hundreds of miles from land and no one knew where they were.

They needed a miracle. That afternoon they had a simple devotional service
and prayed for a miracle. They tried to nap. Eddie leaned back and pulled
his military cap over his nose. Time dragged. All he could hear was the
slap of the waves against the raft..

Suddenly, Eddie felt something land on the top of his cap.
It was a seagull!

Old Ed would later describe how he sat perfectly still, planning his next
move. With a flash of his hand and a squawk from the gull, he managed to
grab it and wring its neck.. He tore the feathers off, and he and his
starving crew made a meal - a very slight meal for eight men - of it. Then
they used the intestines for bait.. With it, they caught fish, which gave
them food and more bait.......and the cycle continued. With that simple
survival technique, they were able to endure the rigors of the sea until
they were found and rescued (after 24 days at sea...).

Eddie Rickenbacker lived many years beyond that ordeal, but he never forgot
the sacrifice of that first life-saving seagull... And he never stopped
saying, 'Thank you.' That's why almost every Friday night he would walk to
the end of the pier with a bucket full of shrimp and a heart full of
gratitude.

PS: Eddie started Eastern Airlines

4 comments:

  1. Don't make any sense to listen to THAT doc now!!! That is, if it's the same one,,
    What a wonderful story about Ed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trouble , it was my heart doc that told me what I couldn't eat so I'm screwed.
    Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is rough at first but you will get to like that "sissy" food after awhile or after you get hungry enough (grin). Take care of yourself, and maybe some day you can have a steak. . .

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Dizzy, I'm learning to cook some of that food to where it tastes pretty good.

    ReplyDelete